Last week, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive made a giant splash in the water when they announced the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass. Season passes encourage us to pay for every piece of downloadable content a game has to offer us, rather than spending just a few dollars on individual bits.
The Batman: Arkham Knight season pass was different though, as the content, which costs an extra $40 on top of the $60 base game, had not been detailed. Warner Bros. was expecting us to hand over money for content that, in all fairness, could be total rubbish. Understandably, Batman fans were upset but following the backlash Warner Bros. has revealed the season pass’ secrets, including the announcement of Batgirl DLC.
Batgirl: A Matter of Family DLC
According to Warner Bros., Batgirl’s DLC will be called ‘Batgirl: A Matter of Family‘ and it will be a “prequel story expansion” that takes place in an “entirely new location”. We don’t know which Batgirl this will be as Warner Bros. hasn’t confirmed whether she’ll be Cassandra Cain or Barbara Gordon. It’s far more likely to be Babs as she is already in the game as Batman’s tech support, Oracle (who is in a wheelchair), and her father Police Commissioner James Gordon is in the game too, but nothing is certain yet.
This is brilliant news for fans of DC’s female characters as Catwoman was previously announced as a playable character too. Obviously there’s the question of ‘when are Catwoman and Batgirl going to get their own games?’ (I would also like to see gay superhero Batwoman in her own game) but as this is the final game in the Batman: Arkham triology, their spin-offs could be right around the corner.
Peep the rest of the Batman: Arkham Knight season pass content below:
- The Season of Infamy — Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.
- Gotham City Stories — Play as Batman’s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.
- Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks — Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman’s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile’s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.
- Crimefighter Challenge Maps — Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.
- Character Skins — A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman.
Batman: Arkham Knight will be released on June 23rd for PC, PS4 and Xbox One. The season pass content will be released in the 6 months following the game’s release.
Source: Warner Bros.