Everybody looks forward to League of Legends patch day; we’re all eager to try out the new changes and spend our hard-earned cash on skins we don’t need but will buy out of temptation anyway. The last few patches (5.14 and 5.15) brought new game modes, maps and champion reworks and the next one, patch 5.16, is similarly beefy, featuring a multitude of new skins as well as the ‘juggernaut’ gameplay update.
League of Legends patch 5.16 is also quite large as it’s one of the last chances Riot has to change the game before Worlds (eSports, the 2015 World Championship) and waiting any longer may not give players enough time to adjust. So, keep reading to find out the League of Legends patch 5.16 release date and get more details about what will be in it.
League of Legends Patch 5.16 Release Date
Riot has released a server maintenance notice, setting the League of Legends patch 5.16 release date as August 20. Here’s the notice:
“On 08/20/15, starting at, 01:30 Pacific time (08:30 UTC), ranked queues will be disabled in preparation for patch 5.16. At 03:00 Pacific time (10:00 UTC), the servers will be shut down and all games currently in progress will end in a draw and stats will not be recorded. We estimate the battlegrounds will be unavailable for 3 hours.”
EUW servers will be shut down at 5:00 AM UK time and EUNE servers will be shut down at 3:00 AM CEST, so plan your games accordingly.
As for what will be in patch 5.16, the following list is part of what has been tested on the League of Legends PBE (Public Beta Environment) for the patch. Though, we should note that list may not be final as Riot may make some slight adjustments before the patch is pushed to live.
- 6 New Skins: Battle Boss Blitzcrank, Arcade Riven, Academy Ekko, Academy Ahri, Academy Darius and Academy Vladimir.
- 4 Champion Reworks: Garen, Darius, Morderkaiser, and Skarner have all been altered in order to make them feel more ‘unique’.
- Darius Rework: Darius gets the Bloodrage passive which does more damage on enemies with max Hemmorhage stacks, or after Darius has killed someone with Noxian Guillotine.
- Skarner Rework: Skarner can activate ‘zones’ on Summoner’s Rift that provide speed and attack speed buffs.
- Garen Rework: Garen deals true damage with his ‘Villain’ passive that helps shut down enemies who are snowballing.
- Mordekaiser Rework: Patch 5.16 turns Mordekaiser into a duo lane champ, with his passive granting him full XP in a duo lane, instead of half the amount. His Creeping Death passive also allows him to ‘curse’ and control the dragon if he attacks it and he/his team are able to kill it too.
Are you happy with the changes that League of Legends patch 5.16 introduces? What would you like Riot to fix/address in patch 5.17? Leave a comment and let us know.