It’s been an exciting few weeks for League of Legends players. Not only did the League of Legends World Championship 2015 come to a close this weekend (with SKT T1 crowned as the game’s first ever two-time winners of Worlds), but patch 5.20 and patch 5.21 hit the game’s live servers, adding new skins, champion tweaks and updating the reporting system too.
But, as we gear up towards the sixth season of ranked League of Legends play, Riot is using the pre-season to make a truly sweltering amount of changes. League of Legends patch 5.22 not only adds a brand new Victorious skin, but it also introduces a brand new jungle monster, huge changes to the mastery system, and several champion reworks as well. Find out more after the break.
League of Legends Patch 5.22
First off, the Victorious skin for this season of ranked League of Legends play is Victorious Sivir. Victorious Sivir will be rewarded to anyone who achieves Gold rank or higher before November 11 (when the season ends) so there’s still time to get it – also, Riot has confirmed that they will not be selling Victorious skins for RP, as some players feared, so achieving Gold rank is the only way to get it.
Tactical changes to the game include the fact that destroyed wards will now leave behind ‘rubble’. As demonstrated in this video, from patch 5.22 onwards, if you kill a ward that the enemy team has placed, you’ll see a little pebble on the ground (which can last for up to five minutes) which should give you an idea of their warding strategy. Meanwhile, masteries have been given a total overhaul requiring players to make choices about their playstyles; it’s incredibly complex but this video offers a pretty helpful rundown.
League of Legends patch 5.22 will also introduce a new jungle monster called the ‘Rift Herald’. Living in the Baron pit, the Rift Herald spawns at 4:00 and will remain there until 19:45 if it’s not in combat or until 19:55 where it will disappear from Summoner’s Rift no matter what.
The monster does melee damage, and it takes 35% less damage from ranged basic attacks. Also, when its eye opens, you deal bonus true damage (15% of the Rift Herald’s max health) if you attack it from behind. Defeating the Rift Herald grants 50 gold to everyone on your team and the killer gets the Doom’s Eve buff (10% increase damage, but not true damage, along with and an extra 40 movement speed and a 40% increased attack speed for minions near the killer).
The biggest set of changes included in League of Legends patch 5.22, perhaps, are the various reworks for marksman champions. However, we should point out that these reworks, (along with the rest of the content included in this post) are currently in testing on the League of Legends PBE (Public Beta Environment) and are therefore subject to change before release/may not make it to live servers in patch 5.22 for whatever reason.
- Caitlyn: With Caitlyn’s rework, her Headshot passive scales with the critical strike chance and she can fire Headshot at double range if an enemy is trapped or netted. Her Q (Piltover Peacemaker)’s damage has been increased to 25/70/115/160/205 and it now deals 40% decreased damage after the first hit. Caitlyn can now store up to 3/34/4/5 Yordle Snap Traps (cooldown 45/32.5/20/12.5/10 seconds) and though the traps no longer do damage, Caitlyn is guaranteed a Headshot against trapped champs (Headshot deals 10/20/30/40/50% increased damage). Also 90-Caliber Net has been nerfed (70/110/150/190/230 damage) but Caitlyn gets a guaranteed Headshot against netted enemies.
- Corki: Patch 5.22 brings a whole set of changes to Corki including ‘The Package’ (part of his Hextech Munitions passive) where after 8 minutes he gets a package near the fountain and picking it up grants him 50% (out of combat) movement speed and upgrades Valkyrie into Special Delivery. Special Delivery gives Corki an improved Valkyrie with an increased range that slows enemies for 90% and it also has a burning trail that deals 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.2 AD) (+0.2 AP). Corki’s E (Gatling Gun) deals 50% magic damage and 50% physical damage while his ult (Missile Barrage)’s damage has been nerfed from 100/180/260 to 100/140/180.
- Graves: In patch 5.22, Graves gets a new passive called Destiny. Destiny offers Double Barrel (Graves must reload his shotgun when he runs out of ammo), 12-Gauge (attacks fire 4 bullets/8 with critcal strikes), and Buckshot where bullets can’t pass through units. Graves’ new Q is End of the Line which is a powder round that deals damage to enemies in a line before detonating to deal damage to those around it. Quickdraw (his E) has been reworked allowing Graves to dash and reload one shell, and he also gains True Grit from it.
- Kog’Maw: Patch 5.22 includes a buff to Kog’Maw’s passive (Caustic Spittle) increasing the attack speed to 10/20/30/40/50%. Bio-Arcane Barrage (W)’s cooldown is now 13/11.5/10/8.5/7 with a 40 mana cost at all ranks and Living Artillery (his ult) deals double damage to enemies at 25%-50% current Health, and triple damage to enemies below 25% Health.
- Quinn: Quinn’s Harrier passive deals a percentage of Quinn’s total AD, Aerial Assault (Q) doesn’t blind but it marks its primary target as Vulnerable (passive mark) and it deals up to double damage based on the targets’ missing health. Vault (E) now slows for 1.5 seconds and Tag Team (Quinn’s ult) gives Quinn an extra 70/100/130% movement speed but Quinn can’t do do basic attacks or cast spells for the duration of the ult (doing so will end the ult).
- Miss Fortune: And finally, Miss Fortunate has a new passive called Love Tap (bonus damage when swapping targets), Strut replaces her W (Impure Shot) and the waves of Bullet Time (her ult) can now crit with each wave (based on MF’s crit chance).
Other change in League of Legends patch 5.22 include the many new items that have been added to the game, along with price adjustments and the removal of existing items (such as Crystallise Flask which will soon be out of the game). A video with more on that is here.
What do you think of League of Legends patch 5.22? Are you excited to play the reworked champions? Leave a comment and let us know.