Earlier this week, EA announced EA Sports UFC 2 for PS4 and Xbox One. During the announcement trailer, a voiceover explained that the team behind the original EA Sports UFC game had listened to fans and have taken that feedback on board for the sequel. This would include new game modes, better graphics and more.
Unfortunately, that trailer didn’t offer us a look at the game and it didn’t go into much more detail about these new online and offline “experiences”. But , we don’t have to wait any longer to see the game in action as EA has just released a new EA Sports UFC 2 trailer that offers us our first glimpse of gameplay and it reveals that Ronda Rousey is one of the game’s cover stars too.
EA Sports UFC 2 Gameplay Features
Ronda Rousey, in addition to being the first female fighter to sign with the UFC, being the first UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion and having a collection of medals (at Olympic, World Champion and Pan American level) in judo, she is also the highest paid UFC fighter (male or female). So, it was probably a no-brainer for Ronda Rousey to be an EA Sports UFC 2 cover star and it’s a decision that few will argue with.
As for the game itself, there have been lots of big changes this year, including the fact that EA Sports UFC 2 will let us create a female fighters and “guide them to UFC greatness”. In addition to female fighters, create a fighter has been upgraded in general, with “robust facial sculpting” and “tattoo customisation”. Career mode has also been tweaked to offer more “career-defining moments” (including “long-lasting rivalries” and “epic battles”) and training camps to help us prepare for our next fight.
The follow EA Sports UFC 2 modes are all new to the series:
- Ultimate Team: After adding it to their other sports franchises, EA is bring Ultimate Team to EA Sports UFC 2, letting us create teams of five different fighters in different weight classes. Players can “compete in online or offline competitions to progress your fighters and earn coins”, spend those coins on new packs and use the cards in those packs to “improve or change moves, attributes and perks”.
- KO Mode: KO Mode is exactly what you think it is. With no grapples and no ground and pound, KO Mode is all about punching and kicking until your opponent is out cold.
- Custom Event Creator: This EA Sports UFC 2 mode will let players “become an event organizer and create the dream fight card you’ve always wanted”. We’ll be able to choose from iconic venues, authentic referees, and custom fight settings and once that’s in place we can take part in the fight ourselves.
- Online Championships: The game will have an online Title Chase mode too which will put players in divisions and match them up against similarly skilled players “for the shot at becoming a champion”.
- Live Events: And finally, EA Sports UFC 2 will let UFC fans pick the outcome of upcoming UFC events and they can also play as the fighters in-game to play the match up for themselves. There will also be rewards and leaderboards in what EA calls an “immersive fantasy prediction game”.
Also worth noting is that EA is also teasing a roster of “current and former UFC athletes, MMA legends, and maybe even a few surprises”. Those surprises are anyone’s guess but given that they were mentioned in an EA survey, our money’s on CM Punk and Chuck Norris.
EA Sports UFC 2 will be released on PS4 and Xbox One in spring 2016.