All the way back in 2013, League of Legends developer Riot Games revealed concept art for a champion called Ao Shin. A dragon, Ao Shin was one cool looking champ that fans were eager to see more of, but as time went on, with no word about the character, fans lost hope. Eventually, te character became a running joke with every ‘new champion’ teaser being greeted with ‘I hope it’s Ao Shin!’
Although Ao Shin will never debut as we once saw him in that concept art, the dragon champion’s spirit lives on. Riot Games has now formally revealed new League of Legends champion Aurelion Sol, The Star Forger, who is a spiritual successor to Ao Shin and may finally give fans what they’ve been waiting for all this time. Find out more about Aurelion Sol and his abilities after the break.
New League of Legends Champion – Aurelion Sol, The Star Forger
While Illaoi is a tentacle-god loving top-laner, and Jhin is a flamboyant mid-lane shooter, Aurelion Sol is a “medium range mage” that’s “bringing one hell of a big bang along for his grand entrance”. It also appears that Aurelion Sol is best suited for jungling, so without further ado, let’s look at his abilities
- Passive: Center Of The Universe – Aurelion Sol reportedly does the “lion’s share” of his damage with his passive, which features three stars that orbit the champion, “dealing magic damage and applying spell effects to enemies they strike”.
- Q: Starsurge – With his Q, Aurelion Sol can shoot “the core of a newborn star” and once it has been reactivated or has travelled past the star’s “maximum orbital range”, it will explode to deal damage and stun any enemy hit. Moreover, if Aurelion Sol travels alongside the star, he can nurture it and it will grow in size to damage and stun a wider area when it finally explodes.
- W: Celestial Expansion – Aurelion Sol’s W, on the other hand, sees the Star Forger push his stars to the outer ring, which “significantly” increases their power. However, the ability uses mana for as long as it’s switched on, and if Aurelion Sol runs out of mana (or if you turn the ability off) they’ll go back to their normal orbit.
- E: Comet Of Legend – Aurelion Sol’s E ability has both a passive and an active side. On the passive side, travelling continuously in the same direction will see the champion build up increased movement speed (sharp turns see him lose speed), which is then stored as Escape Velocity stacks (stacks are lost if Aurelion Sol takes any damage from an enemy). On the active side, once Aurelion Sol has maximum Escape Velocity stacks, he can take flight “traversing over terrain for a long distance”, but enemy damage brings Aurelion Sol out of flight.
- R: Voice Of Light – And finally, Aurelion Sol’s ultimate ability sees him shoot a “long wave of starfire” which deals damage and slows any enemy it hits. Moreover, if any nearby enemies are “caught in the blast”, they’ll be knocked back to Aurelion Sol’s outer ring.
Riot Games also say that Aurelion Sol works well with Braum (for his slows and his tankiness), Sivir (for her speed) and Tahm Kench, as Aurelion’s stars continue to orbit the hungry catfish even when he’s in his stomach. However, the dragon champ is countered by Akali (she can get in close), Graves (who can get away from Aurelion Sol using his Quickdraw or Smokescreen abilities) and Nidalee, who can shapeshift, pounce and rip him apart.
Riot Games has not yet revealed the official Aurelion Sol release date (though he is “mere weeks” away), but we’ll keep you posted.