How To Get To The Iron Keep In Dark Souls 2: A Journey Through the Flames
Dark Souls 2, the critically acclaimed action role-playing game, is known for its challenging gameplay and intricate level design. One of the most memorable and daunting areas in the game is the Iron Keep. This fiery fortress is home to fierce enemies and treacherous traps, making it a true test of skill for any player. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to reach the Iron Keep and also provide you with five interesting facts about this iconic location.
To get to the Iron Keep, you must first make your way through the Earthen Peak area. Once you have defeated the Covetous Demon boss in Earthen Peak, proceed to the central room where a large lever awaits. Pull the lever, and a platform will descend, allowing you to reach the lower floor. From here, you will find a passage leading to a windmill.
1. Fact: The windmill in Earthen Peak is the key to accessing the Iron Keep. Once you arrive at the windmill, you will notice that it is spinning rapidly. To slow it down, proceed to the lower level and locate a room with poison pots. Destroying these pots will cause the poison to drain into the windmill, gradually reducing its speed.
2. Fact: The Iron Keep is infamous for its lava-filled chambers and fiery obstacles. As you progress through the area, be mindful of your surroundings and watch out for traps that can quickly turn the tide of battle. Timing your movements and utilizing the environment to your advantage is crucial for survival.
After slowing down the windmill, head back upstairs and cross the newly revealed bridge. This bridge will take you to another area called the Iron Keep Threshold. Here, you will encounter powerful knights wielding devastating weapons. Proceed with caution and dispatch them with precision. Once you have dealt with the knights, continue forward until you reach a fog gate.
3. Fact: The Iron Keep Threshold is populated by Alonne Knights, who are known for their swift and deadly attacks. Engaging them in combat requires patience and precision. Study their patterns and strike when the opportunity arises to emerge victorious.
Now, brace yourself for the true challenge that lies beyond the fog gate. As you enter the Iron Keep, you will be greeted by a breathtaking view of an expansive, lava-filled castle. This is where the true test of your skills begins.
4. Fact: The Iron Keep is filled with traps and ambushes. Watch out for pressure plates that activate flamethrowers, as well as enemies that can knock you into the lava below. Take your time to observe your surroundings and plan your movements carefully to avoid certain death.
5. Fact: The Iron Keep is home to the notorious Smelter Demon boss. This formidable foe is one of the toughest challenges in the game. With its powerful attacks and resistance to damage, defeating the Smelter Demon requires patience, precise timing, and a well-planned strategy.
Now that we have explored the journey to the Iron Keep and learned some interesting facts about this fiery fortress, let’s address some common questions players often have:
Q1: Can I bypass the Covetous Demon boss in Earthen Peak?
A1: No, defeating the Covetous Demon is necessary to progress to the Iron Keep.
Q2: What is the recommended level for tackling the Iron Keep?
A2: It is advised to be around level 60-70 to have a reasonable chance of survival.
Q3: How can I avoid falling into the lava in the Iron Keep?
A3: Be cautious of your surroundings and use the environment to your advantage. Take note of platforms and bridges to safely traverse the area.
Q4: Are there any shortcuts within the Iron Keep?
A4: Yes, keep an eye out for illusory walls that can reveal hidden paths and shortcuts.
Q5: Can I summon help for the Smelter Demon boss fight?
A5: Yes, there are several summon signs available near the boss fog gate. Utilizing the assistance of other players can greatly increase your chances of success.
Q6: Are there any bonfires in the Iron Keep?
A6: Yes, there is a bonfire located near the bridge leading to the Smelter Demon boss fight.
Q7: Can I find any unique weapons or armor in the Iron Keep?
A7: Yes, exploring the area thoroughly will reward you with unique weapons, armor sets, and items.
Q8: What is the recommended weapon type for the enemies in the Iron Keep?
A8: Enemies in the Iron Keep are weak to strike damage, so weapons like maces and clubs can prove effective.
Q9: Can I parry the Alonne Knights?
A9: Yes, it is possible to parry the Alonne Knights’ attacks, but their swift movements make it a challenging task.
Q10: Is it possible to backstab the Smelter Demon?
A10: No, the Smelter Demon is immune to backstabs, so focus on dodging its attacks and dealing damage when it’s vulnerable.
Q11: Are there any NPC quests related to the Iron Keep?
A11: No, the Iron Keep does not have any specific NPC quests tied to it.
Q12: How long does it take to reach the Iron Keep from the starting area?
A12: Depending on your playstyle and exploration habits, it can take anywhere from several hours to a few days.
Q13: Can I use a ranged weapon to safely defeat enemies in the Iron Keep?
A13: While ranged weapons can be useful, it is advised to have a backup melee weapon for close-quarters combat.
Q14: Are there any hidden areas or secrets in the Iron Keep?
A14: Yes, exploring thoroughly and interacting with the environment can unveil hidden paths and secrets within the Iron Keep.
With these tips, facts, and answers to common questions, you are now equipped to embark on your journey through the Iron Keep in Dark Souls 2. Remember, patience, perseverance, and adaptability are key to conquering this formidable fortress. Good luck, and may the flames guide your path!