Kick the Can: How to Play and Have Fun
Kick the Can is a classic children’s game that has been enjoyed for generations. It is a simple yet thrilling game that requires strategy and teamwork. In this article, we will explain how to play Kick the Can and provide answers to some frequently asked questions.
How to Play Kick the Can:
1. Gather a group of players: Kick the Can is best played with a group of at least four to ten players. The more players, the more exciting the game becomes.
2. Choose a playing area: Find an open space, such as a backyard or a park, with plenty of room for running and hiding. Set boundaries to ensure the players have enough space to move around.
3. Select a can: Place an empty can in the center of the playing area. This will serve as the “jail” or the base for the game.
4. Assign roles: Choose one player to be the “It” or the seeker. Their role is to guard the can and try to catch the other players. The remaining players will be the hiders.
5. Start the game: The hiders must find a hiding spot within the playing area while the seeker counts to a predetermined number (e.g., 30). This gives the hiders a chance to find a good hiding spot.
6. Seek and capture: Once the seeker finishes counting, they must start searching for the hiders. If a hider is spotted, the seeker must call out their name and run back to the can. The hider must then try to reach the can and kick it before the seeker tags them.
7. Jail and release: If the seeker tags a hider before they reach the can, the captured hider must go to the jail (near the can). The hider can be freed if another hider manages to kick the can without getting caught by the seeker. The freed hider can then resume hiding.
8. Release the hiders: If all the hiders are captured and in jail, the seeker wins the game. Otherwise, the game continues until all the hiders successfully kick the can without getting caught.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. What is the objective of Kick the Can?
The objective is for the hiders to kick the can without getting caught by the seeker, while the seeker’s goal is to capture all the hiders before they reach the can.
2. Can the seeker leave the area around the can?
Yes, the seeker can leave the area around the can to chase after the hiders. However, they must always keep an eye on the can as the hiders can try to kick it while the seeker is away.
3. Is there a time limit for the hiders to kick the can?
No, there is no specific time limit. The game continues until either all the hiders are captured, or they successfully kick the can without getting caught.
4. Can the hiders communicate with each other?
Yes, the hiders can communicate with each other to strategize and plan their moves. However, they must do so quietly to avoid giving away their hiding spots.
5. What happens if a hider is caught by the seeker?
If a hider is caught by the seeker before they reach the can, they must go to jail. They can be released if another hider successfully kicks the can without getting caught.
6. Can the hiders go back to their hiding spot after being released?
Yes, once a hider is released from jail, they can go back to their original hiding spot or find a new one.
7. Can the seeker guard the can from a distance?
Yes, the seeker can choose to guard the can from a distance, but they must always be within sight of the can to prevent the hiders from kicking it.
8. Can the seeker tag multiple hiders at once?
Yes, if the seeker managed to tag multiple hiders at once, they are all considered captured and must go to jail.
9. Can the hiders distract the seeker?
Yes, the hiders can try to distract the seeker by making noise or moving objects to create confusion and increase their chances of reaching the can.
10. Can the seeker change after a round?
Yes, after each round, the roles can be rotated, allowing different players to take turns being the seeker.
11. Can the hiders kick the can while the seeker is chasing them?
Yes, the hiders can attempt to kick the can even if the seeker is chasing them. However, they must be cautious not to get caught in the process.
12. Can the seeker kick the can to prevent the hiders from reaching it?
No, the seeker’s role is to guard the can and catch the hiders. They are not allowed to kick the can to hinder the hiders’ progress.
13. Can the game be played at night?
Yes, Kick the Can can be played at night with proper lighting and safety precautions. However, it is essential to ensure the playing area is well-lit and free from any hazards.
Kick the Can is a timeless game that brings joy to both children and adults alike. It encourages teamwork, strategy, and physical activity, making it an excellent choice for outdoor entertainment. So gather your friends, choose your roles, and have a blast playing Kick the Can!