What Channel Do the Pirates Play On: A Comprehensive Guide to Catching the Action
The Pittsburgh Pirates, a Major League Baseball team with a rich history, have a dedicated fan base that eagerly tunes in to watch their favorite team in action. If you are a Pirates fan or simply curious about where to catch their games, this article provides all the information you need to know. Additionally, we will delve into five interesting facts about the Pirates to deepen your knowledge and appreciation for this iconic team.
What Channel Do the Pirates Play On?
The Pittsburgh Pirates’ games are primarily broadcast on AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, formerly known as Root Sports Pittsburgh. This regional sports network is available through various cable and satellite providers in the Pittsburgh area. AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh exclusively covers Pirates’ games, including both home and away games throughout the regular season.
5 Interesting Facts about the Pittsburgh Pirates
1. Rich History: The Pittsburgh Pirates, established in 1887, are one of the oldest professional sports teams in the United States. They have won the World Series five times, with their most recent victory in 1979. The team has also produced legendary players such as Honus Wagner, Roberto Clemente, and Willie Stargell.
2. The Great Roberto Clemente: Roberto Clemente, one of the most celebrated Pirates players, was a Puerto Rican outfielder who played his entire career with the team from 1955 to 1972. Clemente was known for his exceptional skills both on and off the field, winning twelve Gold Glove Awards and amassing over 3,000 career hits. Tragically, he passed away in a plane crash while on a humanitarian mission in 1972.
3. PNC Park: Since 2001, the Pirates have called PNC Park their home stadium. Located in Pittsburgh’s North Shore neighborhood, PNC Park offers stunning views of the city skyline and the Allegheny River. It has been consistently ranked as one of the most beautiful ballparks in Major League Baseball.
4. The “We Are Family” Era: In the late 1970s, the Pirates enjoyed a period of success known as the “We Are Family” era. Led by manager Chuck Tanner, the team won the World Series in 1979, defeating the Baltimore Orioles. This era was characterized by camaraderie and unity among the players, with Willie Stargell serving as the team’s inspirational leader.
5. The Curse of Sid Bream: In 1992, the Pirates faced the Atlanta Braves in the National League Championship Series (NLCS). In Game 7, the Pirates held a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the ninth inning when the Braves’ Sid Bream hit a slow grounder to third base. The throw to home arrived late, allowing Bream to score and eliminate the Pirates from the playoffs. This moment is often referred to as the Curse of Sid Bream and is considered by some fans as a turning point in the Pirates’ fortunes.
Common Questions About the Pittsburgh Pirates:
1. When were the Pittsburgh Pirates established?
The Pittsburgh Pirates were established in 1887.
2. How many World Series titles have the Pirates won?
The Pirates have won the World Series five times, with their most recent victory in 1979.
3. Who is the most famous Pirates player of all time?
Roberto Clemente is widely regarded as the most famous Pirates player of all time.
4. Where do the Pittsburgh Pirates play their home games?
The Pirates play their home games at PNC Park, located in Pittsburgh’s North Shore neighborhood.
5. What channel broadcasts Pirates games?
Pirates games are primarily broadcast on AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh, formerly known as Root Sports Pittsburgh.
6. Can I watch Pirates games if I live outside the Pittsburgh area?
Some out-of-market Pirates games may be available through national television broadcasts or MLB’s streaming service, MLB.TV.
7. How can I get AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh?
AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh is available through various cable and satellite providers in the Pittsburgh area. Contact your local provider for subscription details.
8. Who is the Pirates’ biggest rival?
The Pirates’ biggest rival is the Philadelphia Phillies. The two teams have a long-standing rivalry dating back to the late 1800s.
9. Has a Pirates player ever won the National League MVP award?
Yes, several Pirates players have won the National League MVP award, including Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, and Andrew McCutchen.
10. What is the Pirates’ official team mascot?
The Pirates’ official team mascot is the Pirate Parrot, a colorful and energetic character who entertains fans during games.
11. How can I buy tickets to Pirates games?
Tickets to Pirates games can be purchased through the team’s official website, or from authorized ticket vendors.
12. Are there any Pirates players in the Baseball Hall of Fame?
Yes, the Pirates have several players in the Baseball Hall of Fame, including Honus Wagner, Roberto Clemente, and Willie Stargell.
13. Do the Pirates have any retired numbers?
Yes, the Pirates have retired several numbers, including those of Roberto Clemente (#21) and Willie Stargell (#8), among others.
14. When is Opening Day for the Pittsburgh Pirates?
The date for the Pirates’ Opening Day varies each year but typically falls in late March or early April.
In conclusion, for avid Pittsburgh Pirates fans or those looking to follow the team, tuning in to AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh is the best way to catch their games. The Pirates’ rich history, iconic players, and memorable moments make them a fascinating team to support. Whether you are relishing in their World Series victories or cheering alongside the Pirate Parrot, the Pittsburgh Pirates offer an exciting and enduring baseball experience.