What Was the Highest Score in Football?
Football, also known as soccer in some parts of the world, is a sport loved millions. It is a game that has seen numerous records being broken, including the highest score in a single match. The highest score in football is an astonishing 149-0, achieved in 2002 during a match between AS Adema and SO l’Emyrne in Madagascar.
AS Adema, a team from Madagascar, was facing their rivals SO l’Emyrne in a league match. The game was marred controversy as a result of a previous match where SO l’Emyrne was given a penalty that led them to a 2-2 draw. In protest, SO l’Emyrne decided to intentionally score own goals throughout the entire match, resulting in an outrageous scoreline.
The match will forever be remembered for this extraordinary scoreline, which remains the highest score ever recorded in a football match. It highlights not only the spirit of competition but also the lengths some teams may go to express dissatisfaction or seek revenge.
Questions and Answers:
1. How did AS Adema manage to score 149 goals?
AS Adema scored 149 goals as a result of their opponents, SO l’Emyrne, intentionally scoring own goals throughout the match.
2. Why did SO l’Emyrne decide to score own goals?
SO l’Emyrne decided to score own goals in protest of a previous match where they were given a penalty, leading to a draw.
3. Is the 149-0 scoreline recognized official football organizations?
Although the scoreline is recognized as the highest score in football, it is not officially recognized FIFA or other official football organizations due to the circumstances surrounding the match.
4. What are some other high-scoring football matches?
While the 149-0 scoreline remains unmatched, there have been several high-scoring matches, such as Australia’s 31-0 victory over American Samoa in 2001.
5. Who holds the record for the most goals scored an individual player in a single match?
The record for the most goals scored an individual player in a single match is held Archie Thompson, who scored 13 goals for Australia against American Samoa in 2001.
6. Has a team ever scored more than 149 goals in a match?
No, the 149-0 scoreline remains the highest score ever recorded in a football match.
7. What is the highest score in professional football?
The highest score in professional football is debatable, as there have been numerous high-scoring matches. However, the 149-0 scoreline remains the highest recorded in an official match.
8. How did AS Adema react to the intentional own goals SO l’Emyrne?
AS Adema celebrated each goal but showed sportsmanship not excessively celebrating or taunting their opponents.
9. Has anything similar to the AS Adema vs. SO l’Emyrne match happened since?
No, a match with such an extreme scoreline caused intentional own goals has not occurred since the AS Adema vs. SO l’Emyrne match.
10. How did the fans react to the 149-0 scoreline?
Fans were shocked and bewildered the scoreline, with some expressing disappointment in the actions of SO l’Emyrne.
11. Were there any repercussions for SO l’Emyrne’s actions?
Yes, SO l’Emyrne faced disciplinary action from the league and were fined for their unsporting behavior.
12. How did this match impact the sport of football in Madagascar?
The match brought negative attention to Malagasy football and led to discussions about fair play and sportsmanship.
13. Are there any rules or regulations in place to prevent intentional own goals?
While there are no specific rules addressing intentional own goals, unsporting behavior is generally frowned upon and can result in disciplinary action.
14. What lessons can be learned from the 149-0 match?
The match serves as a reminder of the importance of fair play, sportsmanship, and the need to resolve conflicts through proper channels rather than resorting to extreme measures.