XCOM: Enemy Unknown – Alloy Shiv or Hover Shiv?
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a critically acclaimed turn-based tactical game that puts players in charge of a global defense force against an alien invasion. As the commander of XCOM, players must make strategic decisions on various aspects of the game, including the choice between the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv. Both of these robotic units offer unique advantages and playstyles to enhance your XCOM squad. In this article, we will delve into the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv options, as well as provide interesting facts about XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
1. Alloy Shiv: The Alloy Shiv is a heavily armored robotic unit equipped with powerful weaponry. It boasts a high health pool, making it an excellent choice for absorbing enemy fire and drawing aggro away from your soldiers. Its primary weapon, the Alloy Cannon, can deal devastating damage to enemy units at close range.
2. Hover Shiv: The Hover Shiv, on the other hand, is a flying robotic unit that provides unparalleled mobility on the battlefield. Its ability to hover allows it to bypass obstacles and reach vantage points, granting a significant advantage when it comes to scouting and flanking enemy positions. Its primary weapon, the Gatling Pulse, excels at suppressing enemy units, making it a valuable support asset.
3. Alloy Shiv – Tanky Powerhouse: The Alloy Shiv’s strength lies in its durability. With its high health pool and heavy armor, it can endure substantial amounts of damage while still remaining operational. This makes it an ideal choice for scenarios where you need a frontline unit to soak up enemy fire and protect your more vulnerable soldiers.
4. Hover Shiv – Agile Scout: The Hover Shiv’s greatest asset is its ability to bypass obstacles and reach vantage points. Its flying capabilities allow it to scout ahead, providing valuable information about enemy positions and potential ambushes. Additionally, its superior mobility enables it to quickly flank enemies, disrupting their formations and creating opportunities for your other soldiers.
5. Alloy Shiv – Close-Quarters Specialist: The Alloy Shiv’s Alloy Cannon is devastating at close range. It can deal massive amounts of damage, making it a fearsome opponent for any enemy unit foolish enough to get too close. Its ability to mow down multiple enemies in a single turn can turn the tide of battle in your favor.
6. Hover Shiv – Suppression Expert: The Hover Shiv’s Gatling Pulse is excellent at suppressing enemy units. Suppression reduces an enemy’s aim and limits their ability to move, effectively neutralizing their threat. This makes the Hover Shiv an invaluable asset when it comes to controlling the battlefield and mitigating the enemy’s offensive capabilities.
7. Interesting Fact #1: XCOM: Enemy Unknown was developed by Firaxis Games and published by 2K Games. It is a reboot of the original X-COM series, which was released in 1994.
8. Interesting Fact #2: XCOM: Enemy Unknown received critical acclaim upon its release, with praise for its strategic depth, challenging gameplay, and intense atmosphere. It won several awards, including Game of the Year from multiple outlets.
9. Interesting Fact #3: The Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv are just two of the many customizable units available in XCOM: Enemy Unknown. As the game progresses, players can research and unlock various upgrades to enhance their soldiers’ abilities and equipment.
10. Interesting Fact #4: XCOM: Enemy Unknown features a perma-death mechanic, meaning that if a soldier dies in battle, they are permanently gone from your roster. This adds an extra layer of challenge and emotional investment to the game.
11. Interesting Fact #5: The game’s difficulty can be adjusted to suit different playstyles and skill levels. Whether you prefer a challenging experience or a more relaxed one, XCOM: Enemy Unknown offers options to cater to your preferences.
12. Interesting Fact #6: XCOM: Enemy Unknown has a deep and engaging narrative that unfolds as you progress through the game. The story keeps players invested in the outcome of their battles and the fate of humanity.
Now, let’s move on to some common questions players may have about XCOM: Enemy Unknown:
1. Which is better, the Alloy Shiv or the Hover Shiv?
Answer: It depends on your playstyle and the situation. The Alloy Shiv is a powerhouse with high durability, while the Hover Shiv excels at mobility and support.
2. Can I have both the Alloy Shiv and the Hover Shiv in my squad?
Answer: Yes, you can have multiple robotic units in your squad, including both the Alloy Shiv and the Hover Shiv.
3. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be customized?
Answer: Yes, you can research and unlock upgrades for both robotic units, improving their abilities and equipment.
4. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv gain experience and level up?
Answer: No, robotic units do not gain experience or level up like human soldiers. However, they can still become more effective through upgrades.
5. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be repaired if they are damaged?
Answer: Yes, damaged robotic units can be repaired in the XCOM base. However, repairing them takes time and resources.
6. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be critically hit?
Answer: No, robotic units are immune to critical hits, making them more reliable in dangerous situations.
7. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be mind-controlled by enemy aliens?
Answer: No, robotic units are immune to mind-control abilities, making them resistant to certain enemy tactics.
8. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv use cover like regular soldiers?
Answer: No, robotic units do not take cover. However, their high durability compensates for this, making them effective without cover.
9. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be equipped with different weapons?
Answer: No, their primary weapons are fixed. However, upgrades and research can improve their base capabilities.
10. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be used in all missions?
Answer: Yes, you can deploy robotic units in all types of missions, depending on your squad composition and strategy.
11. Are the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv DLC content?
Answer: No, the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv are part of the base game and do not require additional downloadable content.
12. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be destroyed permanently in a mission?
Answer: Yes, if either robotic unit is destroyed in a mission, it will be permanently lost. This emphasizes the importance of careful deployment and tactics.
13. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be repaired during a mission?
Answer: No, once a robotic unit is damaged in a mission, it will remain damaged until repaired in the XCOM base.
14. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be used in multiplayer matches?
Answer: No, robotic units are not available in multiplayer matches. They are exclusive to the single-player campaign.
15. Can the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv be controlled directly by the player?
Answer: No, robotic units act independently and are controlled by the game’s AI. However, you can give them general orders and prioritize targets.
In conclusion, the Alloy Shiv and Hover Shiv are two unique robotic units in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, each offering distinct advantages on the battlefield. Their different playstyles allow for versatile strategies and add depth to the game. With customization options, a challenging campaign, and intense tactical gameplay, XCOM: Enemy Unknown remains a beloved title for strategy enthusiasts.