YouTube is a popular online platform that allows users to upload, share, and view videos. With millions of videos being uploaded every day, YouTube offers various privacy settings to control who can access and view your content. One such setting is “unlisted,” which provides an option between public and private videos. In this article, we will explore what it means to have a video unlisted on YouTube, along with five unique facts about the platform. Additionally, we will answer 14 common questions related to YouTube’s unlisted videos.
What does “unlisted” mean on YouTube?
When you set a video as unlisted on YouTube, it means that the video will not appear in search results, on your channel, or in suggested videos. Only those who have the direct link to the video can access it. Essentially, it allows you to share your video with a select group of people without making it publicly available.
Five unique facts about YouTube:
1. YouTube was originally a dating site: When it was first created in 2005, YouTube’s founders intended it to be a video-based dating platform called “Tune In Hook Up.” However, after noticing that users were primarily using it to share random videos, they changed the concept to what it is today.
2. The most-watched video on YouTube: The music video for “Baby Shark Dance” by Pinkfong is the most-watched video on YouTube, surpassing over 12 billion views. This catchy children’s song became a global phenomenon, captivating audiences of all ages.
3. YouTube has its own music awards: In an effort to recognize the incredible talent found on their platform, YouTube started hosting the YouTube Music Awards in 2013. This annual event celebrates the most popular and influential music videos and artists on YouTube.
4. YouTube is available in over 100 countries: YouTube has a vast global reach, with its services being accessible in more than 100 countries and supporting over 80 different languages. This allows creators to connect with audiences worldwide and share their content on a global scale.
5. The longest video on YouTube: The longest video ever uploaded to YouTube is titled “The Longest Video on YouTube – 571 hours, 1 minute, and 41 seconds.” It was created by Jonathan Harchick and is an experimental video consisting of various clips, music, and images.
Now let’s move on to answering some common questions related to YouTube’s unlisted videos:
1. Can anyone watch an unlisted video?
No, only those who have the direct link to the unlisted video can watch it. It will not appear in search results or on your channel.
2. Can unlisted videos be shared on social media?
Yes, unlisted videos can be shared on social media platforms by sharing the direct link. However, only those with the link will be able to view the video.
3. Can unlisted videos be monetized?
Yes, you can monetize unlisted videos on YouTube if you are part of the YouTube Partner Program. However, keep in mind that unlisted videos may receive less exposure than public videos, affecting potential earnings.
4. How many people can watch an unlisted video?
There is no limit to the number of people who can watch an unlisted video. However, only those with the direct link can access it.
5. Can unlisted videos be embedded on websites?
Yes, you can embed unlisted videos on websites by using the provided embed code. This allows you to share the video with a specific audience while controlling where it appears.
6. Can unlisted videos be made public later?
Yes, you can change the privacy settings of an unlisted video to make it public at any time. Once made public, it will be searchable and visible on your channel.
7. Can unlisted videos be downloaded?
Unlisted videos can be downloaded by those who have the direct link using third-party websites or software. However, it is important to respect copyright laws and the privacy of the video’s creator.
8. Can unlisted videos be deleted?
Yes, you can delete an unlisted video just like any other YouTube video. Once deleted, the video will no longer be accessible, even to those with the direct link.
9. Can unlisted videos be live-streamed?
No, unlisted videos cannot be live-streamed. However, you can schedule a live-stream event and set it to unlisted if you wish to limit access to a select group.
10. Can unlisted videos be commented on?
Yes, viewers who have the direct link to an unlisted video can leave comments on it, just like with public videos. However, these comments will only be visible to those who have access to the video.
11. Can unlisted videos be shared with YouTube Premium subscribers?
Yes, unlisted videos can be shared with YouTube Premium subscribers, as long as they have the direct link to the video. They will be able to watch it without ads, as part of their premium subscription.
12. Can unlisted videos be found by YouTube’s content ID system?
No, unlisted videos are not included in YouTube’s content ID system, which is used to identify copyrighted content. However, copyright holders can manually report unlisted videos if they believe their content is being used without permission.
13. Can unlisted videos be added to playlists?
Yes, unlisted videos can be added to playlists, but only those who have the direct link will be able to access and watch them within the playlist.
14. Can unlisted videos be shared with YouTube Kids?
No, unlisted videos cannot be shared with YouTube Kids. The YouTube Kids app is specifically designed for children and only includes content that has been approved and categorized as child-friendly.
In conclusion, YouTube’s unlisted videos provide a way to share content with a select group of people without making it publicly available. Understanding the various privacy settings on YouTube allows creators to control who can access and view their videos, ultimately enhancing the overall user experience on the platform.